If you’re thinking about hiring new staff, you should consider hiring mature age workers.
Not only do people over the age of 50 have years of work experience they can bring to your business, they also tend to have more loyalty and stay in their jobs for longer, bringing greater stability to your business and team.
Hiring people over the age of 50 can also provide your business with additional financial benefits. In fact, you can receive up to $10,000 for each eligible mature age worker you hire through the Australian Government’s Restart Wage Subsidy.
Restart is a government funded wage subsidy that can help you cover the cost of hiring mature age workers aged 50 years or older.
Wage subsidy payments are paid to you at intervals agreed between you and Mission Providence over a 6 month period. You may also be able to receive a ‘kickstart’ payment of up to 40% of the total wage subsidy after 4 weeks of a job starting.
For more information about the Restart Wage Subsidy, call your local Mission Providence office on 13 11 24.
10 great reasons to hire mature age workers
- People over 50 have greater workplace experience – if you hire someone with experience in your industry, they’ll require less initial training and supervision.
- People over 50 tend to have more networks, external interests and experiences that can add value to your business.
- People over 50 tend to stay in their jobs for longer, bringing greater stability to your business and team.
- People over 50 tend to be more loyal than younger employees.
- Mature age workers can often have a stronger work ethic.
- Considering mature age candidates will maximise your chances of employing the best people for the job.
- Local communities have an increasingly mature age profile. By hiring these people, you are mirroring the demographics of your community.
- Become an employer of choice; market your business by promoting diversity in the workforce.
- Mature age workers can be great mentors to younger or less experienced employees.
- Access government-funded financial incentives, provision of special training grants and support for job creation.